Every time Natasha, my friend, sees a sale post on the local butcher’s, she goes crazy to get her hands on the bacon.
At this point, she has not only taught us how to stash so many packets in the corners of her freezer but has also taught us how to defrost bacon in the microwave safely and effectively.
So what she does is fairly simple. She uses a microwave safe plate that fits her 0.9 cubic feet oven, places her bacon in it, enters the defrost setting, defrosts for a minute per side, and it is done!For those of us that don’t have a microwave like her, I have my own tips to thaw the bacon. Let’s dig in for more.
How To Defrost Bacon In The Microwave?
The first thing that will come to your mind is, can you really defrost it in the bacon? Of course! Since the oven is a great source of heating and therefore, cooking, defrosting in the microwave is a piece of cake.
If you had not defrosted the bacon, you would need a longer time to cook it. And who has so much time after a hard day’s work or before it? So, for an even cooking and a slice of crispy bacon, you should defrost it.
Best Way For Defrost Bacon In The Microwave?
Once you follow the safety measures, here are seven steps for you to do it in the best way:
- Portion Control
Step-1: Portion Control
Now, you get a lot of bacon in one single pack. And once you have defrosted the entire pack, you will need to cook the food for safety reasons and not keep it out for long.
But unless you are planning to feed a lot of people in the family, you will not cook a pound of bacon at the same time! This is why it is important to have portion control.
To do this, your task will be that the next time you buy bacon, remove the packet from the butcher’s and divide the bacon into smaller sections.
Now put them in separate zip-lock bags and freeze them. You can defrost each bag when needed, depending on how many people will be eating with you!
There are two kinds of butcher’s packets. One can go straight from the freezer to the microwave, while the other needs to be removed.
If your butcher’s packet is microwave safe, you can put the packet on a plate or tray and defrost as it is.
However, if it is not microwave safe, then you will need to do the following:
- Place a double layer of paper towel in a microwave safe plate.
- Remove the packet from your bacon and place them on the paper towels.
- Cover the bacon with another paper towel.
Different microwaves have different power settings and functions for defrosting. Yours can have a defrost option by time or defrost option by weight or both options. Whatever the case, you can press the defrost setting to start the work!
If your oven does not have a defrost setting, you can set the microwave power to 30%.
When your microwave defrosts the bacon or any food by weight, you will not have to worry about the time. But otherwise, you should know how long it takes to defrost frozen bacon in the microwave. Usually, 5-6 minutes is optimal for a pound of bacon.
If you have an automatic defrost option, you will need to remember when to check. Each time there is a beep, you will remember that it is time to see how things are going!
However, if you have manually set everything, you will need to check as follows:
- Remove the paper towel after each minute and check if some of the bacon has dislocated. You may remove or shift some bacon as you need.
- Each time you finish checking, re-cover the bacon with a paper towel.
- If your oven does not have a turntable, turn the plate by 60 degrees each time for even cooking.
Don’t keep your bacon out for long after it is defrosted! It is safer to cook them. For this, you can use the same oven, remove the paper towels, put in a few eggs and cook on the same plate/tray.
If you want, you can also cook in your skillet or wherever you like it.
In case you had not done portion control this time and defrosted the entire bacon, it is hard. Because you shouldn’t put defrosted items back into the fridge as they promote bacteria growth.
So you cook it lightly or keep it as is, and put the leftovers in an airtight container. This should be good for 5 days.
Check More: Can You Defrost Bacon in The Microwave?
How Will You Defrost Bacon In A Microwave Safely?
Now, there are two ways to do things. One, you can just do it, put it in the oven, and take it out. Or two, you can defrost safely, which keeps both you and your microwave free from accidents or damage. So, how will you do it?
- Always try to use the defrosting setting on your microwave to defrost. Unless you have professional skills on setting the time and temperature, it is easier and more convenient to use preset defrosting functions.
- Make holes in the packet of your bacon to let the steam out before you place it in the oven. Also, check in the labels if the packet is microwave safe. If not, toss it out and defrost the bacon on a plate.
- Are you trying to both cook and defrost the bacon at the same time? Set the time for longer minutes then. If you plan to only defrost and cook the bacon on a saucepan, then set the time low.
How Long Should It Take To Defrost Bacon In The Microwave?
Now, I have already told you how long to defrost bacon in the microwave for a pound of bacon. It will normally take you 5-6 minutes. But what if you have more or less of it?
If you have portion control, then let’s say, you divide a pound of bacon into 4 zip-lock bags. So each one contains 0.25 pounds. Since the entirety takes 6 minutes max to defrost, each packet will take 1.5 minutes to defrost. So you see, dividing things up actually takes a smaller amount of time to defrost!
The Best Tips On How To Thaw Bacon In The Microwave?
As you may or may not expect, I got these tips from my bacon-enthusiast friend Natasha (I added some of my own too). Here’s what you can do to help yourself with this bacon defrosting business:
- Always try to make separate batches of lardons, cubes and strips, as each one defrosts in more or less time than the other. Jumbling them together in the same packet will see some items defrosted earlier than the others, and may also start cooking the microwave if they are small!
- The center takes longer to defrost, so switch up the places of the bacon for easy defrosting.
- Don’t forget to check the strips midway. If your microwave is manual or won’t beep, set a reminder for when to check the defrosting process. You don’t need to do it more than 2-3 times if you don’t want to do it more often.
- Do not refreeze thawed bacon if you can help it.
- Beware of plastic melting from your butcher’s packet.
How To Defrost Bacon Without A Microwave?
The people that don’t have a microwave, no need to worry, as our grandmas have taught us how to do it even without a microwave! The technique is called the cold water method. For this, what you need to do is:
- Keep the butcher’s packet on, and do not make holes in it or open it slightly to prevent the yummy bacon juice from flowing out.
- Now, fill your sink with water and place the bacon packet in it. The packet is ice-cold and the water in the sink is at room temperature. This difference in their heat content will cause the packet to draw heat from the surrounding environment without being opened, and at the same time, the surrounding water will become more and more cold.
- After 30 minutes, switch sides of the packet, drain the cold water in the sink and fill it up one more time.
- For one pound of bacon, you will take an hour of defrosting by soaking and changing the cold water method.
If you don’t have access to so much water but still have to do the defrosting of a pound, you have to wait 6-8 hours.
Keeping your frozen bacon out of the freezer for this long and letting it sit on the countertop without any water to help it defrost is naturally time-consuming compared to how long it takes to thaw frozen bacon in the microwave. But this does the job if you have no other defrosting option!
FAQs-Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Is It Safe To Defrost Bacon In The Microwave??
Ans: Yes, it is safe to defrost bacon in the microwave. You can do it in either a microwave-safe packaging or shift it on a microwave-safe plate before defrosting.
Q.How Do You Thaw Bacon Quickly?
Ans:To thaw bacon quickly, you need to use a microwave. Other options such as a countertop or cold water method are not quick and take more time.
Q.Can Bacon Be Cooked From Frozen?
Ans: Yes, bacon can be cooked from frozen. With a super sharp knife, you can cut them into lardons and cook them on your skillet for a delectable breakfast meal or addition to your burger!
Q.HowLong Do You Put Bacon In The Microwave?
IAns: it is a common query for bacon lovers to know exactly how long it takes to defrost bacon in the microwave. It usually takes 5-6 minutes if you want to defrost it. But it can be extended by a couple of minutes if you want to cook it.
Q.How Do You Defrost Bacon Quickly?
Ans: To defrost bacon quickly, always use separate bags to store them after you return from the butcher’s! It cuts down the defrosting time four times and saves bacon for future meals too!
So this is how to defrost bacon in the microwave in the right manner! The next time someone advises you to go for the countertop method, you know how to give them your two cents on the right method!
Also, always advise others and use the checking method. This will save you a lot of trouble with cold spots on the bacon.
Turning your bacon, keeping your eyes peeled for the defrosting time and the right safety techniques will give you your best safe bacon-making so far. And if you don’t have a microwave, turn your kitchen sink into your defrosting friend and enjoy!
- Is Number 6 Styrofoam Microwave Safe?
- Can You Microwave A Starbucks Tumbler?
- Oven Heating Element Broken In Half
- How to Microwave Starbucks Panini?
- How to Cook a Steak in a Toaster Oven?
- Defrost Bacon In Microwave
- Why Are Microwaves So Loud
- How To Turn Off Microwave Beep
- Are Solo Cups Microwavable
- Can You Microwave Red Solo Cups
- How To Silence Microwave
- Can You Put An Over The Range Microwave In A Cabinet?